Wednesday, September 03, 2003

The future for Canadian sovereignty in the North may be melting as fast as the Arctic ice.
The government of Nunavut.
Department of National Defense.
The Canadian Rangers.

Two things before I get into what I want to talk about.

1.) The Nunavut Deputy Minister of Sustainable Development looks just like Dr. Matt Destruction from The Hives. (Assuming that's who I think it is.)
2.) Canada has a Human Resources department.

Hey Simon, what's with all the Canadiana?

Awhile back I heard that, trends in global temperatures being what they are, the Arctic Ocean may someday soon be ice free for a healthy part of the year, and that, should such become the case, it would be an attractive shipping route. Today, while scrounging around the web, I came across the first link above, and was intrigued.

It sounds like an awesome premise for a story. Elite Canadian Rangers trading fire with Russian mafioso using the Northwest Territory as a warehouse for pirated DVDs. Or, you know, something along those lines. Plus, the greater question of what's sovereignty good for anyway sounds ripe with story possibilities.

So, I've got this idea. So what? I've got far more ideas than I know what to do with, especially taking my extreme laziness into account. But, I'm thinking: Warren Ellis is getting all exhibitionist and writing a novel online. Maybe I could do something similar. Only shorter. Much shorter. Because, again: lazy.

Now, I've tried my hand at this sort of public writing thing before. I'm not going to share a link, because I really wish that no remnant remained to be linked to; but certain free webpage hosts seem determined not to delete things written in a rush by very young and naive people, and it's just sitting there, lurking, waiting for someone who knows me to really sort through Google results and discover my horrible attempt at a Douglas Adams pastiche. It will be my undoing, someday, when I am on my way to the podium to accept a National Book Award or something. "And the award goes to...wait a minute, are you the same guy who wrote this? Dramatic reveal as my shame is projected onto the wall. And then the catcalls start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home