Saturday, July 12, 2003

On Taco Bell

On my way to work there are Thai restaurants, Mexican restaurants, fancy burger emporiums, delis of various ethnic affiliation, and multiple grocery stores. (Because sometimes, especially during the part of the year when I am a poor college student ((as opposed to just poor)), buying a few doughnuts and some soda from a grocery store sounds like a fulfilling meal in itself.) But I fear change and distrust growth, so more often than not it is Taco Bell for me.

I do not particularily dislike Taco Bell. I hope I wouldn't go there if I did. (Though there was a period where lunch for me meant AM/PM, which I did dislike.) But no one is going to claim that it is a fine dining establishment. Largely edible is perhaps the highest believable praise. Anyway, I was in Taco Bell today, before work, and I noticed that framed, on the wall, is this promotional slogan of there's. "If you don't love it, we'll eat it." It goes on to describe an expansive return program.

I avoid confrontation at all costs, and much prefer passive-aggressively griping about misproduced orders rather than actually doing anything to correct them. But if, say, I got something way out of line, like bathroom tile, or chum, I would probably say something, if there was time.

The thing is, that isn't what the framed poster says. If I am not in love with my meal, as I have been in love with few things before, then I am apparently well within my rights to send it back, loudly, and expect to see some poor cashier devour my half-eaten Mexican pizza. (I have no idea what this is. It is only tacos and chicken quesadillas for me, because I was not kidding about a fear of the new.)

This is admirable, I guess, but it seems kind of lofty for a fast food place. I like my food, for sure, but I do not think it is often that I come across a meal that I "love." I like food a lot. I really enjoyed the Pepsi that came with my food, for instance. But I would not say I loved it. I'd go so far as to say that the times I have loved food are far outweighed by the times I've been simply satisfied by it, with perhaps a sizable minority made up of times I've really enjoyed it.

This leads me to believe that, as far as Taco Bell is concerned, I could theoretically eat there for free for the rest of my life. Surely this for them is bad, from a purely financial point of view.

However, if I was really guaranteed a free meal from Taco Bell whenever I wanted one, wouldn't that lead to some pretty warm feelings towards them on my behalf? Maybe not love, not right off the bat. But we would be pretty close, I think, at least until their inevitable betrayal, after which I would probably call them late at night and wait until someone answered, and then hang up. And after work I would drive back and forth in front of the place, trying to build up the courage to go in. So I guess, probably, in the end it would all even out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home