Wednesday, July 09, 2003

So it's come to this: Snarky comments about news articles.

Which make up the worst weblogs ever. I mean, who cares? But there isn't anyone sitting around near me who I can call over and whine to, so, here you are.

Bush Defends War, Sidesteping Issue of Faulty Intelligence

I certainly don't have any grand unified theory of Gulf War II ethics. But enough with the preemptive "I have no opinion" warnings. (I don't know how to make the neat quotation thing where the quoted material is narrower then everything else. Here, we are nothing but incompetent.)

"'I think the American people continue to express their support for ridding the world of Saddam Hussein based on just cause, knowing that Saddam Hussein had chemical and biological weapons that were unaccounted for that we're still confident we'll find,' Mr. Fleischer said. 'I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have weapons of mass destruction to tell the world where they are.'"

So anyone claiming that Iraq had no such weapons must first prove that they did before they can deny it? This is a pretty awful abuse of English, and the political dangers of that, completely aside from the issue of whether the underlying sentiment is true or not, have been pointed out by people way smarter and more worthy of your time and attention than me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home