Tuesday, June 17, 2003

The last time I had something to post here it was ruined by a dying battery. So, until I have time to think of something clever, this quotation will have to suffice.

'There are, however, quite serious drawbacks to the use of computer-chips. When they do break down, it is a daunting challenge to figure out what the heck has gone wrong with them...A broken chip has invisible, microscopic faults. And the faults in bad software can be so subtle as to be practically theological.'
--
Bruce Sterling, The Hacker Crackdown

Sterling has a way with words I've found to be unmatched. Sure, there are authors whose prose is just as pretty, or fancy, or even fancier. But he has a way with a phrase that just punches past everybody else. It isn't lyrical beauty. It's something I can't quite put my finger on. But when I say something like "technology destroyed beauty," it's Sterling I'm trying to imitate. Bold statements so crazy they simply have to be true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home