Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Why The RIAA Will Win And All Hope Is Lost

I was so ready to boycott the RIAA. Why support an industry's bad habits, I thought? I am not downloading music, but I do not need to buy it, either. I will vote with my dollars! I will wage a crusade of capital! Financial flight!

Today I bought a CD. Hit To Death In The Future Head, by The Flaming Lips. It is great. Very noisy. The Flaming Lips are on Warner Bros. Records.

The Outline Of A Grand Conspiracy

I haven't escaped the Death of Attention Span any more than anyone else my age. Things must be quick and snappy and skin-deep. I don't have that many albums. Less than a hundred, I'm sure. And I don't listen to all of those with the same frequency. This summer it's been heavy on The Minus 5 and The Flaming Lips and a few other things. (I'd listen to the latest White Stripes album more, but I can't remember where I put it, which is perhaps part of the same problem.) I crave novelty.

This wouldn't be such an issue if my car worked. But it doesn't. Which means that I have to drive the family SUV, (Which is old, old, so old.) the tape player on which happens to be of the insert-tape-sideways design, unlike the insert-tape-straight-on design in my car. Which means I can't use my CD player very easily in the SUV. So I've been listening to the radio a lot.

Man I hate the radio. I mean, nobody likes radio anymore. It isn't a question of enjoying or not enjoying what's on it; the medium is just out of date and nobody cares enough to generate any genuine feelings towards it. (Let's ignore for a moment whether this is actually true or not.) But I really dislike it, because locally there is nothing on. Top 40. Golden Oldies. Rock & Roll offered in a flavor I find hard to stomach. I'd listen to NPR more, but classical music just can't grab my attention while driving. This is most likely a deep flaw in my character, but there you are. And AM...let's not even bother with AM. (Though there is a station that plays, like, some strange things sometimes. But AM! I might as well be listening via smoke signal. ((Note that I am cranky in the car, because of the terrible music on the radio, and this is very much coloring my argument.)))

So anyway, all this combines to make me want, in a desperate way, new CDs to listen to, in the event my car is ever fixed. And today I bought one, thus breaking my vow. (For the, uh, second time since making it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home